Monday, September 12, 2011

McDonald's and Wendy's as Reading Tools?!

Fun in the Classroom and at Home!
http://arapaho.nsuok.edu/~tillman/WORD%20WALLS.htm


"Can You Read This?"
http://webserver.nccsc.k12.in.us/perduec/photos.htm


        In all three articles, environmental print was given as a staple tool to use when teaching young readers.  More importantly, this print can help children become "readers" before they can technically read and write words themselves.  The NAEYC uses this as a rational for their position statement (1998) and our textbook says that by using environmental print in the classroom, it can help children see that all kinds of writings are valued (Cunningham & Allington 2011).  An inspiring story of the use of environmental print was told by Donna Bell and Donna Jarvis, as they explained how their environmental print activities helped their students to see THEMSELVES as readers, even before they know all of their letters. Who knew our every day fast food restaurant signs, road signs, etc was educating our children?! I wonder what other creative activities teachers and parents can use to help their young learners?

4 comments:

  1. I thought that part in the article was great! I think it really allows children to see that all types of print are valued and that they are readers before they even learn to read words or books. It gives them a lot of confidence thus making them excited to read! I was interested in what your pictures were of because I couldn't see your photos you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with your viewpoint on environmental print! I loved that the whole focus was making children confident in their ability to read first, and then teaching them specific skills. Environmental print is a great way to do that, and I think we all got great ideas for our future classrooms :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that you brought up the point that Allington and Cunningham stated in their book- that a lot of different kinds of writing are valued. This is an important concept to teach children. Not only because they can feel important when they see print they recognize but also to show that writing and print is what makes our world go round! How would you know where McDonalds was if they didn't have print outside of their restaurant?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Brittany for letting me know my pictures didn't work. For some reason it worked on my computer, and I did not realize it until I saw your comment the photos weren't available. Please let me know if anyone is still unable to view these photos!

    ReplyDelete